Create a Valentine Cookie Jar for Valentine's Day & create a magical memory for a loved one.
My kiddo made one of these jars for her Grandma at Christmas, & her reaction was priceless! A couple of days later they were both in the kitchen, apron-clad, & elbow deep in flour! Much giggling ensued & squeals of excitement erupted from my girl. The yummy cookies were shared with the rest of the family, so the gift spread a little love even further!
With Valentine's Day coming up I thought this would be an ideal gift to prompt some father & daughter time in the kitchen!
What you'll need:
1 Kilner jar (I picked up 3 for £2 from a local supermarket)
2 cups of plain flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
1 bag of M&M’s
When we made our jar my girl weighed out all the ingredients with me & added them to the jar, pausing only once to sample a couple of the M&M's!
How to create the Gift Jar:
1. Add the flour, bicarb of soda, & salt to the jar. (It may look like the flour fills the jar, but by just pressing the mixture down using your knuckles it will soon compact, & should fill half the jar.)
|Please excuse the mess on the table - my toddler was in food prep heaven!|
2. To create the next layer add the brown sugar, again pressing it firmly down.
3. Add the white sugar for the next layer
To decorate the jar we added some ribbon & a small heart-shaped cookie cutter which I tied with some raffia.
Here's a copy of the instructions we used:
To the best Daddy in the whole world,
Thank you for everything you do for me. I would like to do something for you but I will need a little help. I love it when we spend time together & can’t wait to make these with you.
We will need:
3/4 cup of butter (at room temp)
1 tsp of vanilla essence
1) Empty the contents of this jar into a bowl & mix
2) Beat together the egg, butter & vanilla & add to the dry ingredients
3) Our dough should now look a little crumbly
4) Shape into small balls (1inch)
5) Place on a baking tray & cook in the oven (180oc) for 10-15mins until the edges start to brown
Happy Valentine’s Day Daddy!
Lots & lots of love
My kiddo is very excited about giving this jar to her Daddy, although I think there might be an ulterior motive! ;o)
This gift is also perfect for Mother's Day, Christmas, or Grandparent's Day.