After making the edible medals in our previous post, I got to thinking about how to make an edible Olympic Torch!
To make the Olympic Torches we used:
Ice Cream Cones (10)
4oz unsalted butter (softened)
4oz caster sugar
4oz self -raising flour
muffin tray & kitchen foil
For the topping:
3oz unsalted butter (softened)
6oz icing sugar
Orange food colouring
1. Take a cone & warp it gently in a piece of foil, making sure all the outer cone is covered. Using another small piece of foil wedge the cone into a section of the muffin tray to keep it upright. Repeat with the rest of the ice cream cones. (The foil helps prevent the cone from burning, & holds the cone firm once the cake mixture is added.)
2. Mix the butter, sugar, eggs & flour in a food mixer. Add 1-2 tsp of the cake mixture to the cone, just before it gets to the top. (We filled our cones to the top & the mixture rose slightly out of the cone whilst in the oven. If this happens just slice off any excess before they're iced.)
3. Bake in the oven for 12-15mins (checking regularly) until golden & then cool the tray on a wire rack.
Here's a peek at what they look like inside at this stage.
4. To make the topping, beat the icing sugar & butter together with a few drops of food colouring until smooth. Spread over the top of the cone using a fork to give a rough (flame like) appearance.
5. Chop your chosen fruit into small triangular shapes (to represent flames) & add to your icing.
To help hold our cone upright while we added our icing & fruit we popped it into a narrow clean glass!
And our Olympic torch was ready for a quick parade before the taste test! Surprisingly no one was keen to share their torches in the relay! ;-)
If you don't fancy making the cakes, how about filling the cone with ice cream or fromage frais & adding the fruit to make torches. A tasty treat for any Olympic celebration!