How do you celebrate an achievement or say a special thank you? How about presenting your hero with an Edible Medal! These are quick to make & perfect for all ages to decorate. We chose to turn our cookie medals into Olympic Medals, & presented them to each of the winners at our games.
To make our edible medals we used this basic cookie recipe
3oz Plain Flour
1oz Caster Sugar
1. Beat the butter & the sugar together with a wooden spoon until fluffy. Add half the flour & mix well.
2. Add the remaining flour & mix to a dough consistency, then knead until smooth on a lightly floured surface.
3. Roll out the dough & using a round cookie cutter cut out your medals.
4. Use a straw to make a small hole in each cookie to enable you to thread the ribbon through later.
5. Transfer to a greased baking sheet & bake for 15-20mins at 170C (325F)
6. Cool on a wire rack.
When ready thread a length of ribbon through the small hole & decorate.
To decorate our medals Minnie used a selection of cake decorations that we had in our kitchen cupboard.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to decorating these medals, how about adding a fondant star to tell someone "You're a Star!", or adding numbers or letters using icing pens.
I think they'd make a great 'thank you' gift for a teacher at the end of term.
As you can see my girl didn't hold back with the icing! Her edible masterpiece included every colour available! The icing pens were ideal for little hands to use & provided a great work out for fingers & hands.
She decorated her colourful icing pattern with a few sprinkles, cookie decorations & of course (edible) glitter, & her medal was ready to wear!
Well, it was too good to have hanging around wasn't it! Before I could take a photo of the medal being worn it was being munched!
Edible medals - perfect for sharing the sweet taste of success!