When I saw this genius idea at Snaffles Mummy I knew we had to try it! It's such a cute gift & I love the fact that children are involved from beginning to end. Plus it's not too costly to put together.
Minnie's Daddy would love to spend more quality time with Minnie, so with Valentine's Day coming up I thought this would be an ideal gift to prompt some father - daughter time!
What you'll need:
1 Kilner jar (I picked up 3 for £2 from a local supermarket)
2 cups of plain flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
1 bag of M&M’s
When we made our jar Minnie weighed out all the ingredients with me & added them to the jar, pausing only once to sample a couple of the M&M's!
How to create the Gift Jar:
1. Add the flour, bicarb of soda, & salt to the jar. (It may look like the flour fills the jar, but by just pressing the mixture down using your knuckles it will soon compact, & should fill half the jar.)
|Please excuse the mess on the table - my toddler was in food prep heaven!|
2. To create the next layer add the brown sugar, again pressing it firmly down.
3. Add the white sugar for the next layer
To decorate the jar we added some ribbon & a small heart shaped cookie cutter which I tied with some raffia.
Here's a copy of the instructions we used:
To the best Daddy in the whole world,
Thank you for everything you do for me. I would like to do something for you but I will need a little help. I love it when we spend time together & can’t wait to make these with you.
We will need:
3/4 cup of butter (at room temp)
1 tsp of vanilla essence
1) Empty the contents of this jar into a bowl & mix
2) Beat together the egg, butter & vanilla & add to the dry ingredients
3) Our dough should now look a little crumbly
4) Shape into small balls (1inch)
5) Place on a baking tray & cook in the oven (180oc) for 10-15mins until the edges start to brown
Happy Valentine’s Day Daddy!
Lots & lots of love from
Minnie is very excited about giving this jar to Daddy, although I think there might be an ulterior motive! ;o)
This gift is also perfect for Mother's Day, Christmas, or Grandparent's Day.